For more times than many care to remember, the conversation or post had the same question – is this The Year of Mobile?
Mobile veterans grew tired of the query and groaned each time that the subject was broached. But the mere fact that it was still being asked spoke to an industry searching for a clear defining moment.
As we head into the autumn heavy spending season for marketers, the question most often heard has shifted to Where Are We With Mobile?
The easy answer is that more and more are realizing business results and doubling down.
For the others, it’s time for another discussion of what matters. Namely, let’s start by clearly identifying which metrics are important.
At the enterprise level, marketers should leverage CRM and other back channels to collect valuable information about customers and their activities across all channels.
The critical more advanced analytics fall into three distinct categories:
Custom analytics are unique to each individual app. As each type of app has specific functionality, it is important to know if users are engaging with the app and its features in the way you want. These usage analytics allow a deeper look by giving insight into how the user behaves, when and where they are choosing to log in, and what parts of the app are being most utilized. With the right Mobile Marketing Automation platform, custom analytics can integrate with CRM or other back channels and deliver the types of data most relevant to your marketing initiatives.
Experience analytics give you valuable feedback into the quality of interactions each user has with your app. These include everything from tracking the performance of the app to how often it might be crashing and how many error codes are being produced by user interactions. In addition, experience analytics allow you to understand how users are responding to various push notifications and in-app campaign messages. These crucial metrics demonstrate users’ opinions of your app and your company. Understanding the experience from the customer-vantage is invaluable in appreciating where changes need to be made, how and why messages are received and in raising awareness into issues that may hinder app engagement or adoption.
Loyalty analytics, which let you see the fruits of your overall efforts to determine whether your mobile app users are engaged with your app. These analytics look at everything from app reviews and referrals, to social media endorsement and interaction, to the customer’s use of rewards and promotions from within your app. Loyalty analytics can illuminate those things most resonating with your users, and provide actionable insight into how to engage across multiple channels.
Now that you know what to measure, here are some tips from Google to start making this your year of mobile:
- Create a moments map. Identify a set of moments you want to win or can’t afford to lose. Examine all phases of the consumer journey to map moments when people want to find inspiration, learn about your products, make a quick purchase, or anything in between.
- Understand customer needs in-the-moment. For each moment you want to win, put yourself in the consumer’s shoes. Ask “What would make this easier or faster? What content or features would be most helpful for this moment?”
- Use context to deliver the right experience. Leverage contextual signals like location and time of day to deliver experiences and messages that feel tailor-made for the moment. For example, let customers searching nearby your stores know when the products they’re looking for are in-stock or available for pickup in-store.
- Optimize across the journey. People move seamlessly across screens and channels. Does your brand deliver seamlessly in return? Don’t let competing objectives or department silos stand in the way. To account for today’s complex, fractured journeys, anchor completely on the consumer and organize around moments.
- Measure every moment that matters. You cannot afford to under-serve your customers while you’re dealing with measurement gaps. While the return on investment for certain moments may not yet be directly measurable, train your team to use credible estimates to ensure nothing’s falling through the cracks.
And more and more, we are hearing that Mobile Marketing Automation is key for both measuring every moment that matters and acting accordingly to deliver personalized engagement with customers and prospects.GET THE EBOOK:
Creating Relevant Push Messaging That Engages Rather than Alienates Your Users ➤